3 Jan 2011

.Wondering around Ho Chi Minh City. Part 1.

I started my new day early, so I wanted to see the whole city, or at least most of it in one day. It’s a nice city, by the way. Pretty a lot of parks and green areas are making it pretty attractive. I started with the museum of was and it did hit my mood a lot. When you think what people had to go through with almost no reason, is unbelievable.

I moved to independence hall/palace after, went to the Paris square, visited Notre Dame cathedral, walked around the city center, walked to the museum of history and back. At the end I’ve decided to visit a close pagoda and it was a challenge alright. I tried to find the streets from my book map and it just didn’t work out. Maybe city has changed so much, I don’t know. But at the end I found it and the guy was kind enough to let me in. Although that pagoda was nice, the trip itself was more exciting for locals than for me – they, once again, looked at me as I was an alien.

Off topic: if you think that traffic in Bangkok is bad, you haven’t seen anything yet. You should come to Saigon, at least. It’s unbelievable. It’s like a floating river of scooters on the streets. Crossing the street sometimes, seriously look like a mission impossible. I had guards and policemen guiding me while crossing the street [nice people]. At some point, after waiting for maybe 10 minutes to cross, I even without wish or thinking about it said `fuck off` to a guy from a car, who was trying to show me the `thumbs up`.

Rules do not exist in the country. Maybe only one – the bigger you are, the more rights you have to do whatever you want. I thought as long as I keep to the pedestrian paths, I’ll be safe. That was not a correct idea. Scooters are riding on those too. The lesson I learnt while crossing though: you go, no matter what. You walk slowly, but with a constant speed. And even if no one stops, you manage not to get killed and cross the street. Although, I may add: never try in on your first day – it is risky.

My evening plan was to have a couple beers with one Finnish guy I met in Kampot. Do I need to mention that never happened? So we met: him, me, some German guy. We went to the same place I discovered a day before and the owner was so happy to see me that I came back and brought some friends with me that he hugged me. It was a nice welcome. So we sat there, waited for two more Finnish girls to join. They came and brought a British guy. We had an easy nice time there and then all of the rest decided that it should be fun to try this hot club `Apocalypse now` or something. But it wasn’t that easy to get there. We first went for some meals, when we took a taxi, which took us closer to the club, but not to the club itself. My book was a savor and helped us find the place, although the guys decided to go to another place first, so we could get cheaper drinks before we get in. so here we were, hopping from bar to bar, finally entering that club, which none of us liked, actually. One drink there and we all decided it’s time to go back to the Backpackers district. Why did we leave on the first place, I have no idea. So I was very close to leave, since I had an early start and trip the next day, and I am not even sure why I stayed and why only one `come on, let’s go` worked. So we went to some go-go bar, danced a little and went back to one of the bars, for an easy simple beer. Finnish guy went home, German guy left us too, so I kind of stayed with one of the Finnish girls, talking. It was a very nice conversation and I did not want to leave, but when they started closing the bar, I knew it was the time. So I left, went back to my hostel for my whole 3 hours of sleep. How did I end up here again?

No comments: