3 Jan 2011

.Around Kampot. Bokor NP.

The other day started the usual: breakfast and waiting. My pick up was late for about 20 minutes and when we got to the rangers’ camp there was some more waiting. We gathered all people and moved to this Bokor National Park trip: while flyer said `4-RW` it turned out to be truck and all of us spaced at the back of it, while guides sat on the front [not in the front but on the front]. We stopped after a bit to do trekking, where a ranger, with a rifle and flip-flops was leading the way. He even went much faster than all the rest, in trekking shoes or sneakers. On the way, which sometimes was steep, sometimes easy, I met several nice people and held some nice conversations. We have been walking for almost two hours and my legs, still aching from the caves experience the day before, were aching even more.

After the trekking we got back to the truck and went to see the old palace. It was old alright. Some abandoned building that would definitely scare the hell out of me if I come there at night. It was fun though to enter when it has a clear sign in front of it `Dangerous. No entry` but our guide was optimistic `you can go in, this sign is just a sign`. We checked the palace, went for a walk, through a nice scenery, visited old, abandoned church and finally got to the waterfall.

Waterfall was real fun, it looked much better than expected and putting feet into the water just felt completely refreshing. The only bad thing that happened there – I lost the cover of my lens. Sad, of course, but happens, right?

After the waterfall we followed the same way: truck, trekking with the same ranger with a rifle and flip-flops and back to the same rangers’ camp. We got back to Kampot at exactly `the beer time` and took a boat ride for the sunset. The driver of the boat was unbelievable, such an honest face and incredible smile that only rare exceptions have and the speed was amazing – he managed to get out of the boat and go to the other side of it unnoticed. It was a great way to finish the day, relaxing, watching the sun go down and enjoying it.

We decided to meet for dinner at some point later with the people I met on this trip. We gathered together, I decided to eat crab and that was one difficult experience. I mean, there is not so much meat, but so much work in it.. But the taste was great and so, all in all, even if I did not get myself completely full, it was a nice experience. Of course, while eating it, I managed to get myself totally oily, I broke a chopstick while trying to open that crab, and still managed to enjoy it. We ended up going to the bar for beers and boys for some pool. At the end, we met the owner of the bar, talked a little and separated different ways. It was time for the night to end.

When I got back, I realized that the gates were locked. While me and one guy from the inside tried to open it and didn’t manage to do so, at the end, since I did not want to wake owners up, I just jumped over the fence. It must have been a cute view, a girl in a skirt going over the fence. Good thing, no one was there to take pictures of the scene.

No comments: