3 Jan 2011

.Getting to Laos in one piece.

The day finished fairly early, since I had to catch my bus that goes to Laos. The pick up, no surprise, was late again, but it arrived finally and we got out seats/beds in a sleeping bus. It was an interesting trip. We stopped after an hour of a ride, where all of us were forced to leave the bus while the staff threw some black packages into the bus and stuffed all of it under the seats. What are the chances it was legal stuff? Anyways we arrived to the border around 3 a.m. and slept in the bus till the opening of the border. We paid 1$ for the stamping our passport and leaving Vietnam, then 30$ more for Laos visa and finally 1$ more for stamping that visa. But with almost no problems we moved along to Vientiane. Well, almost, because my Spanish friend got a hand-written letter that they are not going to take him to Luang Prabang as promised. Suddenly I became very happy that I decided to go just to Vientiane.

We arrived to Vientiane in the afternoon, got a pick-up-tuk-tuk, that ripped us off [but that’s standard fare, so.] and went to look for a place to stay with Scottish girl, who’s accent reminded me of Big G immediately. To our surprise all of the places there full and it was a bit of a challenge to get a room. But we managed and went for a beer afterwards. One beer turned into a lot and before I knew it it was around midnight and I decided to go to sleep.

I checked out the next day and went for a walk around the city. Turns out – people were right, there’s nothing much to do in Vientiane. Although I liked it. I visited some parks, temples, victory monuments which, without even my book reminded me of the Triumph arc in Paris. It was a nice easy day, ending with a going for a night bus to Luang Prabang.

No comments: