3 Jan 2011

.Good morning Vietnam. Hanoi and Halong Bay.

We visited it all: Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, B-52, Prison [Hanoi Hilton], War museum, Lenin in the square, Old square, lake, had some amazing noodle soup and headed back. The night was nothing special, although some stupid people sat next to me while I was reading, close enough for me to realize how actually stupid they were. `Oh, I didn’t know that Belgium is a country`, `What is the smallest country in the world?` `Amm.. I think it’s Lichtenstein`, `oh yes, yes, it’s Lichtenstein`. I mean, come on…
The next day was a Ha Long Bay Trip Day 1. We started in a pick-up bus, which turned out to be a real bus. Small with narrow seats which made our asses hurt and we went – full 3.5 hours with it to the Ha Long. Oh well, as always you just sit there and try to convince myself that it could be worse. And it could, of course, honestly.
After we got off the `ass-aching` bus we had to wait for something and got into the boat small nice boat, no complains about that. Minutes after we started moving, lunch was served. Nothing special really: some fish, some tofu, some vegetables. Well, for the price we paid we probably couldn’t have expected anything more. We were floating on a water for a little bit and come to some cave. Recently discovered by some fishermen and I was hoping for some really rural cave. I don’t know how they modified not recently discovered, but this one was filled with different lights and millions of tourists. It was nice, I give you that, but way too much touristic.

After the cave there was nothing much more. Just going through endless islands-rocks nicely floating and reading a book. Me and Steffany – we enjoyed it. Evening was almost planned to be boring and short but somehow 4 Swedish youngsters, norvegian girl, Spanish guy and me ended up at one table playing some entertaining drinking games. Remind me and I will show you how it’s being played. After some people went to sleep we stayed some more for good old `I have never ever` that brought me back to the summer of 2006, still wondering `bet or no bet`.

The sleep was amazing. Even though the beds were narrow, the blankets were perfect that I cuddled myself into it and fall asleep immediately. Morning came quick and we went kayaking with no breakfast. It was nice, we went around couple of small islands and went back to the boat for breakfast. The rest time of the day was just floating on the water, dropping people off at some point, and getting back to the Ha Long. We took the same `ass-aching` bus again back to HaNoi. Our perfect noodle soup place was closed already so we settled for second-best and went for some beers.
The next day we took a round around the old square in the city and endless markets looking for mp3 player for me and some cable for Carolin.

No comments: