3 Jan 2011

.Going to Kampot.

I had to leave Nadia asleep with the sad smile. It’s amazing how great she was and how much fun I had with her. And for such a short time only. Sad it was to leave, but that’s traveling to you. Nicest people you meet are usually heading the opposite direction.

My bus left almost on time with no troubles at all. Although I thought I was going to the place that people told me is not touristic at all, I got this bunch of people coming on to me with offers with rooms. I got lost even though from the very first moment I knew I’m going to follow this adorable kid anyway. His innocent face and sweet eyes bribed me completely. We took his bike and went to this `last guest house` which is maybe nothing special, but so adorable and people [staff I mean] are so smiley and great that I just loved staying there and can only recommend the place to anyone who’s coming there. I got a fan double room for only 5$ together with helping and smiling people.

I’ve decided not to waste my time and go for these caves with temple in it. I went for the bike and tried to convince one guy to take me there, but language barrier did not let us do that. Then another guy pulled over and even though his English knowledge had a limit of maybe 20 words, he told me `I know the place` and I believed. Turned out – he did not know the place. But I guess it’s a good way of getting customers. He stopped by some tourist office where I got `my friend is a good man, but he does not speak English. So where do you want to go?` I explained my wish, he translated it and we went for the road. On the way 3 kids joined us with their bicycles and followed me to the cave.

That was something. On a normal basis you would just go in, see the cave and leave. Those kids dragged me into adventure. Adventure of climbing into the cave, swinging on the ropes. Final outcome – I slipped a lot of time, fully bumped down two times, hit my head to the stones several times, almost fell into the muddy piece of water with my camera once and aching legs from it. But it was great – climbing, sliding, listening to the stories, everything. They even took me to this narrow cave where I literally had to slide like a snake and almost got stuck. But I enjoyed. One cave they took me, could be easily named as thousands of bats cave. And it was – so many in one place, it was almost unbelievable.

Of course they ripped me off after the tour I didn’t even ask for, but it was worth it. And my `good man` was patiently waiting for me with a bike, took me safely back to the city and was very grateful when I have him a little more than what we agreed from the very beginning. I was totally dirty after my experience in that cave, so I put my long-sleeved thing on for the first time in a long time and followed the way back to my place, or better yet – straight to the shower.

I got back, got an offer to join the tour to the National Park the next day, accepted it, decided to stay one more day in this quiet and nice small town, went to east, found an amazing chicken/lemon soup and called it a night. Lack of sleep was already starting to kick in.

No comments: