3 Jan 2011

.The Loop with The Boys. Part 1.

This loop by all means was the most exciting part of my trip. For starters, once again, I did one thing that scares me – rented a bike. And I couldn’t stop smiling while being on it – it was awesome. We started with good and easy road and the first stop was a cave, where several kids took us there, forced to climb up and down, jump and yell at the same time. It was a nice cave and a nice experience. The kids weren’t speaking almost any English, but they were posing for pictures, were staring at us and one of them kept constantly touching my arm.

The next destination after the cave was supposed to be some sort of nice place for chilling and swimming. Well, we did find that place but it was almost out of question the swimming part, since there was as much water as only maybe cover the knees anyways. But at least the scenery was nice. I just wonder how it would look like if you come during the wet season, because it seems like anything that is connected with water, is not spectacular on a dry season, a.k.a. the one we were in.

We moved along to find some more caves. One we could say was a little bit pathetic, I would call it – just a hole in the mountain, so we moved along. Another cave we managed to enter. But then again, in the beginning you have to pay 2000 kip for the road, then 10 000 kip more for the cave itself. Well, what the hell, in total it’s just 1.5$, we can do it. So we entered the touristic cave, with some artificial lights that destroyed the whole picture, but there were also some nice stairs and so all in all it was not bad. Somehow it reminded me of a frozen castle and that cartoon from my childhood, you know the one with Gerda and her brother and the bad evil queen? We got off the cave and found some of our team eating. So, we joined. My stomach was feeling like a stone still, so I only ate some sprite. There was nothing much to do and so while others were eating me and one of the Germans were playing that game with heavy balls. I don’t know the name, but I call it a `retired people game`. Guys were making fun of that a lot, but I won! I guess I’m retired then, ah?
The rest of the day was mostly just riding bikes, taking pictures and watching the amazing views. I was smiling all the way, because I still couldn’t believe that I am on a bike and that I actually managed to do it successfully. I was also very excited about the dream team, that we managed to form. There was me, there was Sascha [how he ended up having no Russian roots, but Japanese and Italian instead and still having a Russian name, I still don’t know]. Then there was `my German`, the guy who came to Thakek for the loop just as I did and then were `his guys` [referring as `Sascha’s guys`], who split soon enough and just became `his German` and Yo. Definitely we were all very different and under normal circumstances, I would never guess we would be even friends. But there and then – we just happened to be in one place at one time and we made the best of it. I had so much fun and so much laughs with those guys, that I miss them immediately, when I think about my trip, Laos, Loop, peanuts and many million other details.

Anyways, the road at some point became worse. Exciting of course, but I did not want to piss my luck off, so I let the guys go in front of me [it’s only one possible road, I figured, no way I will get lost] and took it with my speed. Yo was usually with me, since he had an accident a little while ago and did not want to risk his life. Sascha and Germans, on the other hand, were going way too fast for us. That led to crash of His German. Nothing serious, he just used front break and fall off the bike. He did not even hurt himself, just the break handle. Sascha, on the other hand, got a flat tire at some point and I tried to catch him to tell him that, but even with one flat tire, he was faster than me. He did realized that soon enough and so we ended up going slowly and looking for the mechanic shop. We found it just as we went down the hilly road. They had a female mechanic and the guys were so impressed by her, that she felt even uncomfortable when they started taking her picture and all.
When bikes were fixed successfully, we decided to go for beer, as to celebrate. In the middle of nowhere, we found a shop next to some, I would guess preparation for the evening party place. While being there made me a little bored, I took my soap bubbles. Local kids around were almost as much surprised as my guys. They started commenting on my bubbles, and I let kids play with them. It was fun. I was missing some childish stupid things like turning in the rain, and this one was just on time.

We hit the road right after, so we did not catch night on the road and went to the guesthouse of Mr. Phosi, recommended by Mr. Ku, who rented us bikes. My boys are somewhat individualists and always prefer single rooms, so we faced a bit of a dilemma when we learned that we can only get three rooms where only one of them has a descend bed and the rest only some matrasses. Since I didn’t even care where and how to sleep as long as I get to lay down horizontally, I let the guys to decide. So My German and His German took one room, Yo got the room for himself and Sascha had to share room with me. That cost me a beer, I just did not know that yet.

Anyways, we went out for a meal after and soon enough realized that there is absolutely nothing in that `village`. No lights even, so soon enough we got back to Mr. Phosi guesthouse and ordered some food and some beers. We met a Dutch guy there as well who was also doing the loop. So we ate, talked, laughed, it was fun. After it became a bit boring me and my German decided that it was time and place to discover the night sky with stars. Else kind of joined us, but it was unfortunate deal. We had a full moon and it was so bright, that you could hardly see any stars. It’s amazing, you come to the middle of nowhere, where are no city lights and still you get no stars. It was so bright that you could have seen shadows coming from trees or people. Seriously, I have never experienced such a bright night before. Not in SEA anyways.
After some time we headed back to the guesthouse, got invited to join Mr. Phosi and his friends at the table for another meal/beer thing. It was fun, although they were drinking beer real fast. Sascha was complimenting the sticky rice non-stop, while His German was non-stop talking about the awesome peanuts [it makes me smile every time anyone says peanuts], while me and my German somehow managed to get `married`. I’m not sure even how that happened, since I was just talking, or, better said, tried to talk to one of the locals, when I heard and saw him showing to me `yes, married. 7 years. We have a seven year itch now`. I just caught myself wondering – how did I manage to get the second husband in my life already. Anyways, since a long way was waiting for us the day after with bikes, we have decided to go to sleep and `my wife forces me to go to sleep` was my German’s rescue card from the table. I got back to the room fast enough and still find my roommate not sleeping. And before we went to sleep, we were talking about roosters [crazy topic, I know] and he claimed that they will start crowing at 4. No way, I thought and said it out loud. So we made a bet. I was sure it’s going to be my beer. Not until middle of the night when I woke up, saw him sitting up straight and hearing roosters. I checked my watch: 3:43 a.m. `Yeah, ok` came from me and the thought `damn, I lost a bet. Again` came to my head. Well, happens right.

No comments: