19 Feb 2011

.Out. Very Chinese Hong Kong. Part II.

The next day Rick was meeting his friend, so I went out to explore Hong Kong on my own. I went to Hong Kong island where I headed to Victoria park [if I recall the name correctly that is]



to the harbor



some more places around and went for lunch. It was a very nice city, even though I couldn’t really appreciate it normally, since my heart was still in Thailand. But I enjoyed it. I ended my day going to the Hong Kong Park and it was really very nice.



This small green spot in the concrete jungles just looked right, peaceful and nice.



I have been walking around it for a long time, but before it got dark, I decided I need to go back. Once I was back we met with Rick, went for a dinner and a beer [but of course] and called it a night. Not sure if it was the cold or the air in Hong Kong, but we both were still tired.

The next day we decided to take the cable car and to get to some sort of old city or something, with a big Buddha on the hill. We started with taking a metro, which took around half an hour. It’s amazing how big actually that small country of Hong Kong is. Then we got into the cable car and that one took us to the place, that was our destination.



Very touristy, but nice still. I found a `wish tree` and of course, I wouldn’t be me, if I didn’t write a wish and left it, secretly hoping, even if not believing, this one eventually come true. We walked around a bit, got into the temple, made some pictures, climbed up to the big Buddha hill, walked around, went down, walked a bit towards the `wisdom path`



where apparently we got wiser and headed back to the touristy part. We got some lunch and headed back to the cable cars, then metro and then the hostels. After a little bit we went to the harbor to see Hong Kong at night



and laser show, which to me at least, look, well, pathetic a bit. We walked around the city, trying to find a place for dinner but we did not get any lucky. Finally we found a pub that had a beer sign outside, so we went in and got a beer named `Blue girl`. Where do they get those crazy names?

We got lucky, since after the pub we took a right turn and found ourselves in Temple street, better known as the night market street, which meant that there are plenty of street kitchen places happening. We chose the big and busy one, since if there are other people in it, it must be good. We ordered some food and some beers, ate, talked, joked around, had some fun and at the end headed back to the hostels. Hong Kong is really tiring city, I am still not sure why, though.

We have already seen most of the city, the worth seeing parts anyways, so the next day we went to this shopping mall that I don’t remember a name again with a steep kind of little train, better known as a funicular, since it had a great view of Hong Kong on the roof.



It was nice, but you cannot possibly stay there for a long period of time, before you get bored, so we were wondering what to do later and decided to watch some of `The IT crowd` in the hostel. As usual, since it’s hilarious sitcom, we ended up watching more episodes than planned and went out. We found some almost fastfood kind of place to eat, where I took some Indian food, ate, took some beers and headed for the New Years Carnival. We stayed there for around two hours before it became boring and decided to head back to the Temple street for some beers for the night.

Wasn’t as easy as we could have expected. In the first place we ordered beers, got those and when we said we were not going to eat, we got kicked out of the place. Interesting way of serving, right? So we went looking for other place, sat down and then the girl told us that they don’t have beers for sale, even though a guy at the next table was drinking one. Well, maybe we just didn’t like us and was not in the mood to serve us. We were wondering around and finally found a place.

So now, recommendation – go to that place. It’s amazing. It’s close to temple street, check the map, find the corner of Parkes and Bowring streets and then, right the on the corner there is Mei Sun Restaurant. So we got there, decided to take an outside table, so some locals, sitting at the table next to us went in and informed owners that some people came in. So a woman with a menu started walking towards us, but once she realized that we were westerns she returned back. So then a very nice and good English speaking guy came to us, we asked if it’s ok that we will only take some beers and after we got a positive answer, we ordered two beers. It went all very well, we were sitting and talking and the guy was always coming to us asking if he could fill our glasses or if we need anything. It was great service and we decided to come back the next night.

After a while one local guy joined us from another table. He was drunk and weirdo, but nice. He kept on talking to us in Chinese and, well at least I was only nodding or telling abstract phrases. He noticed that I had two rings on my hands and asked if he could take a better look at those. So I gave him my rings and he was looking through loupe for at least 5 minutes and finally returned it to me saying `good. Very good`. After several beers is became a little uncomfortable to try to talk to him, once we spoke English and he only spoke mostly Chinese and more drunk he was getting, less English we heard from him, so we headed home. The day and night was over.

No comments: