19 Feb 2011

.Out. Very Chinese Hong Kong. Part I.

I was very pleasantly greeted in Hong Kong. Tourist information lady stopped me, gave me a map and told me where to stay and where to stand during the Chinese New Years carnival and fireworks. She even told me which bus to take and how much it costs and all the rest of necessary information. I got to the city and got to the place, where I was hoping to get a room. Well, that did not work as I was expecting, do I even need to mention that?

It all started promising – I got off the bus in the right place. I had around 35 kilos on my back and millions of Chinese looking small tiny people around who were staring at me as if I was some white bear, escaped from the Zoo. I even went to the right direction, but I missed the hostel I was looking for. So I headed back and still no luck. After wondering around and getting hungry and tired I went to some internet shop, and checked the address again. I was in the right place and still somehow I missed it. So I headed back. Then it became clear why I missed it – there is no sign of the hostel at all. It was a big building with a lot of phone shops. Feeling desperate and tired and already angry on all of the situation I went in and asked one of the guys in the shop where the hell I should go. He told me to used side doors, go in, take the elevator and find the hostel. Turns out, he was right, although it is absolutely impossible to find it on your own. The hostel was full [but of course], but the good part was – there were at least 10 other hostels in the same building [well, that’s Hong Kong, you have to see it before you believe it]. So I went to another one and there was a woman at the desk. I started to explain what I need and she was only repeating `sorry I don’t speak English`. I tried to explain in simpler words and slower, she kept on saying her only known English phrase and then called somebody and handed me the receiver. I talked to the guy on the phone and he gave me `good` news – I can get a place to sleep for two night and then – who knows. Fun, I thought, I will just sleep under the bridge, since it’s Chinese new years and everything is full. But at that moment I did not care about it at all, so I just took the room for two nights and went in.

I put my stuff in the room and went to find something to eat. I was walking around for maybe 20 minutes when it became clear to me that I was checking out. I got a little scared and really didn’t want to faint in the middle of the street, so I headed straight to 7/11, bought some food and some water and went back to my room, since my head was spinning harder and harder. I tried to stay stable in my bed and probably starting to feel a bit better after some food. At some point I got a message from Rick that he landed already and he is heading to the hostel [which happened to be in the same building]. I told him that I was completely useless at the moment and that we maybe can meet later for dinner. We agreed, I put on a movie and fall asleep after maybe 2 minutes of watching it.

I have been sleeping like a baby for maybe 4-5 hours, but I really needed that and woke up just after I got Rick’s message. We met and went out. I felt much better, at least my head wasn’t spinning and I instantly felt some cold. It wasn’t really very cold, but comparing to Thailand, it was a definite winter here in Hong Kong. So we went for a meal and some beers, talked mostly about traveling and stuff and finally headed back to our rooms. I was still tired and he was tired too.

No comments: