19 Feb 2011

.Out. Koh Tao – second time. Diving.

Dave took us to the pool just next to the sea with all of our equipment and here I got my first news – we actually have to pass a swimming test in order to proceed with the diving. I probably don’t have to tell you all, that I am not a great swimmer whatsoever. But I managed. Well, the test was fairly easy. We had to swim forwards and backwards the pool 10 times and then float for 10 more minutes. I am very good in swimming `hammer` style, but this much even I managed.

And then the course started. It was strange, really strange from the very beginning to breath under water and being not able to breath through the nose. But I managed. I didn’t freak out, I didn’t get a panic attack. It went all well. We spent maybe two or three hours in that pool, doing some exercises, taking off the mask and putting it back on again and all the rest of the things you have to do before you can actually dive in an open water.

After the pool we had to go back, have one more lecture, one more DVD movie and some homework questions, since the next day we had our theory exam. I, once again, got back to my room pretty late, but Sascha was nice enough to wait for me, so we can go for dinner together. Once again, the scenario was almost the same – we went to one place for some meal, then some bar where divers had a big party. We stayed there for a bit, where Chelsey and Alex [not sure how his name is spelled though] and had some nice time with some nice conversations. At the very end Chelsey and Alex decided to go home and Alex gave kisses to both of Sascha and me and told me `you should know that you are totally adorable`. Me and Sascha stayed a little longer. It was very nice time. I enjoyed being with him a lot. We had plenty of interesting conversations, sharing points of view and discussing different matters. We ended up going to sleep pretty late again, since the talking did not finish once we got back to the room, even though he had a 6 a.m. dives again.

The next day for me started with a lecture, then exam and a little too little time for lunch, so I just grabbed something from 7/11 and went for my first real dive in the sea. Sascha was already back from his dives and very excited, since he was lucky enough to see a whale shark, which is rare, really rare. Like he said `oh it was just a baby whale shark, maybe 3 meters long only`, which to me does not sound like a baby at all. Diving was a little scary at the beginning, since we had to jump out of the boat and not to forget to breathe under the water. But it is really a great experience – I can hardly explain it in words though, you definitely have to try it out in order to understand the feeling. It’s like floating in the space, except that you see all those fish all around, colorful and swimming around you, Christmas worms that are so cute, since they hide once you come too close and then get out after they think it’s safe. All of that underwater world is so amazing that if I can advise - I would say it is a definite must to try and experience. We also had to do some exercises once we were under water and on the surface, which made at least me laugh so hard. It’s not really that easy to take your west off or your weight belt off and put those back on again. But it’s really is fun. We dived for about 45 minutes and then got back on a boat and moved to another location for the second dive. It was again – very interesting with a lot of fish around and some more exercises. And then, 45 minutes after we got back on a boat, took all of the equipment off us and went back to finish out exam.

I was very much proud of myself, since I only made one mistake [out of 50] and so I passed the theory part and I only had two more dives the next day. Happy and satisfied with myself I got back to the room, shared my new gained experience with Sascha and we went for dinner. During the dinner we decided to have an easy night, since the next day we both were doing the 6 a.m. dives and at least I was pretty exhausted from all of the impressions and feeling, got from the dives. So we got back into the room, watched `The social network`, since that one was one of the exceptional movies in my pc that was actually in English.

No comments: