19 Feb 2011

.Out. Koh Tao – second time. Getting older. but not wiser.

The next morning we both woke up obscenely early, which can be known as `last dives day`, `getting the certificate day` and `the official day of Steffany and me getting older`, got ready and went to the boat. It was a new frightening thing for me, since we the day before we dived to 12 meters and this time we went down to 18 meters and in the place, where the depth was 30 meters and there are currents that are giving you not too much stability on surface. Also, we had Cat, who was making video of us, so Steffany was freaking out with all of `how my hair looks like` and `My make up will be washed away` stuff.

If all of that wasn’t enough, Dave decided that it would be fun to jump into water not normally [even if I never managed to do it correctly], but in the `dead Mexican` way, or on your back. It was a bit frightening again, but we managed. We all managed and went down all 18 meters with not much of the troubles. It was great, millions of fish, a lot of things to see and to explore. I was secretly hoping that we will be also lucky enough to see that whale shark, since that was the spot where Sascha saw it the day before, but my luck did not strike so much. But, even without the shark, it was still a great dive. We got back on the boat and moved to another spot for the last dive. For now at least anyways.

The last dive was 12 meters, very easy, with some last exercises under water. We did it all with almost or no troubles at all, had some fun, made a race under water and trust me, it’s not easy to run under water, I got my `Happy birthday` underwater greetings and we had to get back to the boat. My diving experience in my new found paradise was over.

We got back, packed our stuff, since my diving school was no longer paying for our accommodation, went for a celebration that I am now a diver beer and went to some place that Sascha found for us to stay in on the last night in the island. It was a great, really great villa type accommodation with a spectacular view to the sea, which apparently was a birthday present for me. It was a great present, I may add. We went for lunch, when got back to the villa, had a fast nap and headed back to the diving school, finally to fill in the last forms, get certificate, watch our underwater experience DVD movie and just enjoy joining the diving community.

DVD turned out to be really great, we had fun watching it and laughing at ourselves, then stayed in for a little bit and went for dinner with the Swedish couple and Chelsey, my diving buddy, who I knew already, I am going to miss. After the dinner and some beers, we went to the beach, met some more people, then lost those some more people, went to one place, then to another place. We were wondering here and there, then we saw a woman selling those things, I have no idea how it’s called now, but the one where you light up the bottom and then let it fly up into the sky. I was watching it, going away, getting smaller and smaller and finally disappearing in the dark and realized that this is exactly what is happening to my wonderful time in Thailand, in Southeast Asia and in Koh Tao. It was coming to the end and I could almost smell the very end of it. It made me kind of sad, but I knew I have to enjoy my last moments in the paradise, because those memories will not erase from my memory for, well, probably I can say, forever.

We headed back to the villa after all of the beach party pretty late and went to sleep. We still had the next day, well, half of the day in the island. So the next morning, since none of us had any 6 a.m. dives, we allowed ourselves to sleep a little longer, went to the city, bought tickets to get back to Bangkok and enjoyed the rest of the time in the beach, swimming and on the swings. It was a great day, definitely.

No comments: