29 Sept 2010

.In.Around.

I probably don’t have to say this anymore – but I am unbelievable when it comes to, from the first sight, pretty easy things. So besides of going to school, we are also sometimes going out, exploring the night life of Bangkok. It doesn’t really matter that every morning we have to be at school around 9 a.m., we still want to see it all. So one night we decided to meet at Si Lom, the place, that might better be known as red lights district.

Of course, me and Steffany wouldn’t be us, if we managed to go to the meeting point with no problem. So instead of getting off at Si Lom, we got of at Chit Lom and keep on wondering in the street thinking, where the hell the guys are hiding. Wondering took much more than ordinary people would stand and after several calls here and there I finally realized that I am in the wrong place. Plenty of curse words and I am, all furious about the situation, heading home. But while heading home I just pass through BTS [sky train – similar like metro, just over ground] station and decide to get on and this time get off at the right place. I manage to find guys with no problems this time [of course, when you are in the right place, everything seems just so easy].

After couple of days and after some shopping, when I realize how those people are actually small [it’s amazing, when you buy XS in states, S or M in Europe, but you end up in Thailand and the only clothes you actually can fit in are XL. Funny or sad?], we join our Thai classmates to the gym. One more new thing – badminton is apparently very big in Thailand. Everybody is playing it. Well, everybody, so meant us as well. It was a nice thing to do some sports, the only problem – no air conditioning in the gym, so you literally just feel like you are in sauna. May I just add that I don’t really like sauna?

Anyways, after this, we decide to go to eat and we end up going some place pretty far away [almost outside the city]. The place we arrive is actually very nice, we have some dinner and some beers, but just after the lectures and two hours in sauna while playing badminton my eyes are just closing with no compromises, so I end up going home. We did plan a going out night next evening anyways.

The night out was a fun night indeed. We [and by we, I mean Europeans] discovered some non-touristic Thai some sort of night club, where we were listening to the life band and had tones of fun. At some point some police came and shut the place [again, one more new thing to learn – police can do much things in here. For example to come and close a club for the night], so we went to some place for this ‘after party snack’. It’s interesting, back home, it would mean some kebab, McDonald’s or other similar stuff, but not in Bangkok. You go and you take whatever you want – chicken curry, seafood or boiled vegetables. Just like an ordinary dinner. No wonder, people are tiny in here – with such a heat and healthy food 24/7 you just cannot end up being fat.

Talking about the food – it’s unbelievable. But like seriously – fruits are so delicious [I still keep on trying new stuff that I have no idea about the names] that you cannot get enough of those. All the rest of the food is very tasty as well, although I always manage to get something really spicy. Still haven’t learn how to ask for non-spicy meals, but to be honest, I don’t think I ever will. Their pronunciation is way out of my league. I tried to learn how to say ‘my small beautiful octopus’ today and they keep on correcting me, although I honestly feel no difference between what they said and what I did. So the language is not the thing to come to Thailand for, but food definitely is. Of course, it’s mostly noodles and rice, but every time it tastes different. And I am keep on trying that new stuff again and again.

It’s still amazingly hot here in Bangkok and I cannot say that I adjusted to it already, but I’m getting there. Although for the last couple of days we are getting thunderstorms, every single night. No kidding, I think you can adjust your watch according to it – it starts at 6 p.m. and finishes at some point when I am already sleeping, so pretty late [or early in the morning]. But every morning it’s the same story again – hot sun, trying to shine through pollution cap and sometimes [but only on a rare occasions] really blue sky. That’s an exception, if you see it in here. Usually it is some dirty white kind of color.

No comments: