23 Sept 2010

.Back.In.

Life back in Bangkok seems to be in order. I just got back from KL on Saturday night and already next day I realized that my school starts on Monday [better known as tomorrow]. So we talked to one of the exchange students here, just as I am about meeting before and going to the class together. Of course, I probably don’t have to tell you that I managed to get lost and not to be able to find the meeting point, so we ended up going there separately. Fortunately among all those Thai students it was pretty easy to find Europeans, better known as exchange students in the class. So we talked a bit and then the class started. Which was not bad at all. The first for me in here. Not the last one, though. Teacher seems to know the subject pretty well and all the writing paper and exam parts seemed to be manageable.

In the evening we went to Khao San street, better known as touristic very much street. For the first time I was riding this tuk-tuk kind of thing [some sort of taxi with no doors, but goes pretty fast and is a bit scary in the beginning]. We turned couple of times, got into smaller and with much less tourists street, where we found an Indian restaurant, where we had some dinner, some beers and endless conversations, more or less `let’s get to know each other` more or less. It was fun. So far as we know, we are four exchange students in here. Me, no need for introductions, I suppose, then a German girl and two Norwegians. We all have this passion for traveling, tasting different food, experiencing different cultures and we are all studying the same or similar thing. Somehow I get the feeling that we will get along just great in here.

Since the system in here is a bit different than in Denmark or Lithuania for that matter, lectures are pretty intensive. Those people here are studying one subject for one month, taking the exam and only then moving for another one. So this is what we are doing, everyday looking at that huge pile of paper [copied books and papers], some of us maybe reading those, others are just preparing to read, then attending lectures, trying to remember all that was said.

We got to know some of our Thai classmates as well. Amazingly nice people with awfully difficult names for us, Europeans, to remember and pronounce correctly. But they are nice and we get along just great.

Last night, the exchange students, we went to a red light district, ended up in the gay bar [well, actually guys ended up in there. Me, on the other hand, no surprise, of course, got off the train at the wrong station, so kept on wondering where the hell we are supposed to meet and was late for 1.5 hours. That’s the charming Ona’s luck, who is enjoying itself very much by making fun of me]. But I’m just glad that at the very end I managed to find them, and have some nice time with them.

This is the life being back so far. With the school and the heat and everything there is not so much time for traveling and exciting misunderstandings, that keep on following me wherever I go. But it’s still fun.

New stuff learned in Bangkok

Christmas.
They don’t have Christmas, can you imagine? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I am not that stupid, I know that most of Thai people are Buddhist, but having no Christmas just sounds so weird. I was already almost comfortable that I will have no snow this year, but having lectures on Christmas eve and Christmas – that was a bit of a surprise for me.

So whoever was wondering, if I am coming back to Europe for Christmas – no, I won’t, I will be at school during the Christmas. I’m just guessing that I have been a bad girl last year [no, not this way bad, as some of you could start imagining. Stop] and Santa Claus decided to take away Christmas [I can handle that] and snow [this is going to be so much more difficult to handle].

Pink University.
Yes, can you imagine, my university is actually pink? It’s the color of university. I knew subconsciously which university to take for my exchange, right? Steffany is so pinkish happy, that it might be hard for you to understand. It’s not enough we are sometimes taking pink taxi [yes, that bright bright, really pink one, like in the picture on the facebook], but when we go to the school posters are colored in pink, there are pink buses around and so all in all – welcome to the world, where you don’t even need pink glasses, because everything is pink here already. Who could have thought that I will manage to get here, in one piece, with all of my luggage and pink taxi cars around, and also end up in the Pink University? Ahh, it’s just so fascinating man!

----------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bet geroji pusė, per tavo gimtadienį bus šilta :)

Ona said...

Hahahah.

Na, gal reikėjo paminėti, kad per gimtadienį man irgi velnioniškai reikia sniego ;))) Tai čia nežinau kaip su ta puse gerąja.

Tiesa, jeigu pavyks įvykdyti savo beprotišką planą, gal vis tik gimtadienis ir be sniego bus velnioniškai geras ;))