10 Sept 2010

.Getting to the Bangkok in one piece.

Starting point: Kaunas. Starting with bus Kaunas-Elektrėnai. Then a friend‘s car [I can proudly say, Čiundra, since it was me who gave that thing a name] Elektrėnai-Vilnius. Then a bus Vilnius – Riga airport. Then a night at the airport. First flight: Riga-Kiev. Second flight: Kiev-Bangkok. Then Public Taxi: Bangkok international airport-National stadium. Then, finally – my two feet – getting to the dormitory, which, frankly, is far from dormitory.

Flight to Bangkok was unbelievably long. 9.5 hours – who could have thought? I was sure it’s going to be max 7 hours. Well, anyways, I had Kafka to entertain me [the book, not the boy].

I was seated next to the ‘just married’ couple from Ukraine, and they were so nice and talkative people, that we even managed to have some fun. I had to force myself to speak Russian, which did not work that well, but at least they managed to understand me. We talked about this and that, I was giving some English lessons to the girl, we exchanged ideas about Thailand and how different it’s going to be there comparing to Europe. Apart from that, I was eating [Ukrainian airlines gives pretty good food next to not too expensive tickets], sleeping, watching movies and reading ‘Kafka on a shore’. It’s probably still too soon to tell if it’s a damn great awesome book, but at least so far I am very into it – it is actually very interesting how the things are going to turn.

Our flight was almost with no troubles. I say almost, because when we wanted to leave the plane, captain told us to stay in our seats, because we are waiting for police. I knew we had a couple, who drank too much on the plane, but I haven’t any idea, if this is the reason to call the police. Turned out, they were called for those guys, but no idea what they actually did. After a little while, they let us off the plane.

With having no troubles I managed to get my passport checked and my luggage not lost somewhere over something and headed out. Out was hot and it got me by surprise. I mean, it was 4 a.m. how can you expect it to still be boiling hot outside?? The only thing, that let me not to care that much about being fried under the Bangkok sky, was knowing, that Serbia won against Spain in basketball world championship. I headed straight to public taxi, since google almighty told me before, that this is the best way to get to anywhere you need from the airport. So for starters, I get into the cab and get a little surprise that wheel is on the other side. When we get into the street I realize another thing: speeding limit is clearly 60, my driver is going 100+ and most of the cars are actually overpassing us. So probably lesson number one – nobody cares about driving rules in this country. So the guy took me to the center and let me off at the National stadium. Ok, I thought, since I have my own crappy map of the place around, it’s going to be piece of cake to find my dormitory. What can I say? Have I ever been right with such an idea? The right answer is no.

I started walking around, looking for a place. Strangely, no matter if you show anyone [what the hell people are doing in the street at 5 a.m. in the morning is another question] the address of the place, nobody seems to know it, even if you are just 2 minutes away from the place. So I was walking around, tired and my poor feet were carrying not only me, but also 35 kilos of my stuff, and finally, at some point, I manage to take the right turn and get to the place. I get the key with no troubles and arrive to my single room in my dormitory. Ha, think again, I tell myself. The room is double, but hopefully no one is getting into the second bed. There is no kitchen even on the floor [maybe in other floors?] and apparently the place has room service! I feel like I am in not fancy hotel and just keep on wondering – do I really need this? But honestly, no time to think about this right now, maybe when I get back.

So I do a little unpacking, shower and other necessary stuff and tried my new bed for the first time [it was already 6.30 a.m. here, after all]. I took my time with sleeping next day, did the rest of the unpacking and decided I need to see at least a little of Bangkok, even if I have no map in my hands, but hopefully I won’t get lost. So I was walking around, trying to find a little bit of fresh air to breath [it is insanely hot in here, if you ask me] and exploring jungles. Yes, my dears, Bangkok is jungles. Well, instead of animals, there are people and instead of trees there are building, but it is still jungles. Concrete jungles, I may add.

So I was walking around, exploring things, watching all those people selling interesting food in the streets and really wanted to try something, but I just had no idea what to try and if I am sure I want to try something. Because I have seen white moving worms for sale and even black moving worms sold to a customer! So I ended up [well it’s my first day, give me time, I will try some more exotic stuff later] with trying that pink looking fruit [whatever the name is], where the inside is white with little black seeds in it. Tastes good, I may add. Me like it.

Nothing much so far, but to be honest – I will still have time to explore Bangkok. There are still 4.5 months left for me in here. By the way, when I was leaving airport, I saw a poster: “Welcome to the country that smiles”. So I am definitely in. In the smiling country. Well, at least for now.

No comments: