9 Sept 2010

.Easy come easy go.

After running and trying to finish everything on time back in Denmark, which, in my opinion went almost very well, I went back to Lithuania. Strange, when you think about it, that the place, you have been living for more than 20 years now is just a temporary stop between the places. So here I was, almost 8 days, once again, million of stuff in my ‘to do’ list and once again – unpacking, finishing unfinished business, packing and leaving. Almost got used to that already, and then again, when you think about it – can you ever be used to put all your life in two conditionally small bags, rearrange and put the same life in the same small bags? After a while you just stop questioning, I guess, just keep on packing.

Anyways, my time in Lithuania was pretty busy and full of different things. I managed to participate in my mother’s birthday on the very same day I arrived to the country where almost everybody in the streets speaks the same language that I call my mother tongue. For the next couple of days I was staying in my beloved Kaunas, where I was having endless visits to the doctors and other offices, trying to make my health insurance work. That did not work out for me, I may add. But the good part is – at least now I know what needs to be done to make it work, so in case you ever need it and rules are not changed – you can consider me as a free consultant on this field.
I was meeting my friends, I haven’t seen for at least half a year. Some of them, I have known since my childhood and now it was such an amazing adventure to walk the memory lane, remembering how crazy our days were, when we did not need to worry about working, studying, taking care of ourselves, and we just had fun, played games and enjoyed being kids.

I did escape to Vilnius just long enough to meet most of my friends. Not all though, but then again, it’s always one day too little, one hour of sleep too much or just something unexpected comes up and you cannot really see them all. Friday was crazy for sure. I was going from a meeting to another meeting, then running to the third one.. It seemed that it will never end, and my eyes were like enemies, they just wanted to close and go to sleep. Too much of excitement maybe?

Once again, we had one of those so called ‘second night at the Ataturk airport’ conversations with Laima which clearly answers the question ‘why we are the part of the same body – OLGa’. Words were just coming out of our mouths wishing that time would at least slow down if not stop, but it seemed that it was running as fast as it could. So, even though it was for a short run only, we enjoyed being ourselves and sharing those damn hidden moments of our lives.

Meeting all of the rest of my girls was fascinating too. It’s just still strange to see them for such a short time and after such a long period of time, that even though you want to talk it all about, but you know that would take at least a week of non-stop conversations and we all know that was not going to happen.

Saturday I had a short visit to my relatives village house, some sort of family-meeting kinda thing, unfortunately I could not stay there long, but I had million of stuff to do that day later again. My friends picked me up from that place just on time, so I could be almost not late to a guitar concert, where I met some more of my friends, some of them were celebrating their first anniversary of their marriage around those days, the others – just amazing people I had to meet before I leave.
We did not stay there for too long and only because it is a world championship of the basketball right now and it was a must to see and cheer for a Greece team, when they were playing against Spain. Of course, coincidentally on our way to the place for a basketball match, we managed to meet my ex boss from Denmark, from the Dubliner, who came all the way to Lithuania to cheer for the football. So fast hi and hug and we are running for the basketball. Despite everything, it is still my second religion. I used to say it is my first religion, but I have to be honest – Love is my religion. Therefore, basketball has to be the second one.

The game did not go well. Unfortunately one of my favorite teams – Greece, lost it for Spain and had to leave Turkey. Well that was depressing, but I was at least happy that Serbia won their match. After a game we met some more friends, had some laughs and some fun and headed home. Well ‘home’, since I was staying at my friend‘s place for a night.

Sunday morning I took the train and returned to Kaunas. Once again, it‘s amazing how the world works sometimes, in the middle of the trip I meet Laima, who was also heading to Kaunas, but we had no idea and we did not plan to take the same train, that‘s for sure. It was a nice start of the day, followed by some very special moments when finally, after about half a year, we met with Inga, my neighbour, I have known for more than 20 years now and with whom we have this `we are the same` thing. The person, who knows so much about me and still likes me and the person, who manages to understand me no matter what and support me even in the stupid or illogical actions I take. We had a very nice sunny afternoon so we took a long walk in our good old places, where we used to walk as long as we could remember.

Monday was the day of buying stuff, start packing, arranging final agreements and preparing myself to leave. I still met one girl for a very nice conversations and returning all debts, when in the evening we had some sort of `last supper` with my family.

Tuesday – departure day. I learned one thing: `to put all of your life in 30 kilos, you need 2 hours‘. Once again I packed my bags, met Inga for the very last time [well, for now, we are going to meet when I‘m back to Europe], catched a bus to Elektrėnai, met a friend there, went to Vilnius, got some food and managed to be late for the Lithuania-China basketball game only 20 seconds and watched the game, which was supposed to be an easy one, but turned out to be pretty tough. Well, Lithuania won, so in the end it was good.

After the game, not so much time was left, I had to catch my bus, going to Riga, where, next morning I had to catch my plane, first going to Kiev, than to the smiling country [as Nina would say] – Thailand. Just before the departure Ieva surprises me to unbelievable levels, telling me she cannot let me go without.. And gives me the ring. Well, not the very same one, I have lost in the waves in Cabo Verde, but almost the same, with the same king Saliamon’s words on it. Still cannot believe I managed to get it back. My anch cross, my dog tags and my ring. Oh and the watch, which again, not 100% perfect, but damn close to it. Seems that world is giving me back almost everything I have lost there in Cabo Verde. Did somebody give me some extra karma points or was this Cabo Verde’s way of saying ‘well, maybe I shouldn’t have been to tough on you after all’.

So the bus was going and I was sleeping. After all that tiring moment of my life [well, if you can call 8 months to be ‘moment’] I needed that sleep and in the middle of the night I got off at Riga’s airport. Night spend at the airport was, surprisingly, with no accidents or anything unusual. It all seemed to be in order.
In the morning I checked in, once again, no accidents, no nothing, even my 22 kilos check-in bag didn’t make any troubles, or my 13 kilos hand luggage, which, frankly, exceeds the size of the acceptable one. It starts to look like Bangkok is waiting for me and giving me no hard time to get there. Well, I’m not there yet, so it still might joke with me, but so far so good. I even got my both tickets, so after I come to Kiev, I don’t have to stress I may not going to be able to get to Bangkok on time, like the last time, we had experience with almost missing the plane in there.

It starts to be conditionally easy to leave everything and go for the new adventures. Although, it’s maybe not easy, but just ‘getting used to’. Because this time, maybe for the first time in my life, I am not running away, I am not trying to escape, I am actually going to explore. I am going for the adventure. I start feeling like I am finally free.

“I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I’m free”. Once again, a Greek quote. What can I say – we’re in Love. I have a thing for Greece and Greece seems to have a thing for me.

Off topic
There’s a ghost. In my room. I think, it must be You.
You make me shiver. You make me fly. You make me nervous.
There’s a ghost. In my heart. I know, it must be You.
You make me wonder. You make me cry. You make me nervous.

No comments: