9 Aug 2018

Chapter four: The wonderland called Moldova

Moldova, a place proved to me more exciting than I have anticipated. Of course, not just that.

I have been on this earth for 33 years, traveled numerous countries, slept in many many hostels, and only now, for the first time in my life I had the "pleasure" to meet the majestic queen of the bitchland - a f***ing bed bug. Everyone who knows me that well, knows what kind of fear and paranoia I have for these little fuckers [not even going to ask to pardon my French], so imagine my shakiness when I had to face one. On a plus side I found it in the bathroom, so hopefully it came dragged by someone else far far away from my bed, because I inspected the bed, hostel inspected the bed - nothing to be found in there. I still freaked, but in a cultural kind of manner - you would be proud. I did ask hostel to wash all my clothes in high temperatures and I am keeping my bag in the sun so if there are any left anywhere, they can suffocate from heat and die in a miserable way. And as a proper psychopath, I dealt with the one I met accordingly: first I flicked it on the floor, let it run around a little, watching as it was trying to find a good spot to hide. It looked scared, the little shithead. I looked closely at it, just to make sure I know what I am dealing with (technically I am still not 100% sure it was it, but what else would it be?) and then a thought came to my head: "Okay, I think it is enough for you to live" and I ended it's life with a slipper. Yikes, I really hate them. But every possible precaution has been taken, my stuff is officially bed bug free in a few hours and anything that had ANY contact with my bed is going straight to the trash bin. Not taking any risks and not taking any of those fuckers anywhere. 

Besides that, Moldova excites me. I came to my hostel in the afternoon, had a little walk around the city center - it's tiny, so that's not time consuming at all. And once back in the hostel I made three kind of crazy friends. We went for dinner and then, in a quite late evening hours [almost hitting a midnight] we have decided to take a little tour to an old jewish cemetery, because, why not? The German guy was in charge of taking us there, it was about 4 kilometers walk and surprise surprise when we got there - the gate was closed. But after walking this far we were not going to turn back empty handed. The cemetery was fenced by this thick, quite tall wall and what were we going to do? We were of course going to climb it. Somehow we split into twos, and South African guy I was with found a tree that helped us get in. We got luckier I guess. I scraped my knee, but at least we got in with no troubles. The other guys, on the other hand, got shouted at by some lady and were afraid some police will come after us. Police didn't show, so we walked the cemetery, mostly in dark. It was very old and very deserted, where the nature is kind of taking over, very interesting experience. Not sure if I recommend it to anyone, but I definitely enjoyed it to bits.

The next day me and South Africa went to Tiraspol, a capital city of Transnistria, which is not really recognized by anyone in the world. It's something a little out of ordinary, because you cross the border, they give you a migration card, once in, you exchange your regular money to their currency, that no one else is using [so you cannot exchange it back anywhere in the world as well], you can buy their own stamps, but if you want to actually send something via post, you need to buy Moldovan ones and so on. Once inside the city, it feels like the time has stopped - there's Lenin's statues, there's the Soviet smell and feel. Not much to do, but still interesting to see. 

The next day I went to a monastery in the valley. Or better yet, there is a monastery, that is not much to look at, but there's a beautiful valley next to it, so you can take a very easy [even if still very hot] hike along it on down at the valley itself. 

And here we are at the present day. I was thinking going to a winery tour, but I think this is out the window. So I think I will take a little easy stroll in the town, go into a park, read a book, try to be calm and relaxed. And then tomorrow back to Ukraine - the mountains. I have high hopes for it, but before I go, I need to survive an 8 hours bus drive there. Wish me luck!

No comments: