16 Dec 2009

..While facing a white miracle around..

It’s been a while since my last entry. But I have to admit – when You are not fond of where You are or what You do – motivation to speak out loud about that for others goes to zero. And still, I’m writing. And yet, I’m still fine, still living, still not liking Denmark so much.
Studies. Since it’s been a while, I had some stuff to do with my university. We already had some so called mid terms, some presentations, paper preparations and exam. If You have any interest in that – I passed. Reached my goal. But the studies here are difficult. Well, not for everyone. There are some Italian personalities, who enjoy themselves so much while making fun of me and my irrational choice for the program I actually chose. So their studies are less terrible, more understandable and less crowded. While some others are enjoying sleeping till noon, partying every second night, elite eighteen reads extremely `interesting` articles, all about capital structure, signaling, costs, dividends and etc. [I have a little hint for pharmacists – it’s the best sleeping pills ever]. Reading would not be the worst part, we actually need to understand them and then go to the oral exam and try to explain the very same thing. Also, instead of just watching a movie in the evening and doing nothing, we are actually almost crying our eyes out with endless regressions and formatting tables, because we kind of need to replicate somebody’s paper. Did I already mention, that it does not work perfectly from the first trial? Almost rhetorical question – but if even best friend almighty http://www.google.com does not know the answer – whom to address the question to? You may ask what the worst part of all of this is. Well, the most difficult and so far completely out of my league exam is still coming up – in January. We’re gonna definitely have a very best January, every single day [and, most probably, night] cuddling with books, that require to be understood. Did I already mention that they mostly have equations and matrixes and not that much of a simple and actually understandable text?
Visiting. We are almost calculating the month from this old event, but I did have some Lithuanian guests coming here. It was only a weekend, four days, but hell we did have fun. I got some Lithuanian smell and taste – it’s amazing how Lithuanian beer tastes so much better when you’re abroad, or how incredibly Lithuanian chocolate tastes, when you are on chocolate-free diet. Well, anyway, despite of all good stuff brought, we did some ordinary things in here – walked around the Copenhagen, visited Christiania [just visiting, not shopping], went to couple of bars, had couple of beers, interesting conversations and then they left. To be honest, if You plan on visiting me, do not expect too much. The only places I can actually show You is: little mermaid [who is basically just a figure of a girl with legs], some of my favorite bars, Nyhavn street, some parks and that is almost it. But also, if You plan on visiting Copenhagen – just be prepared in advanced, there is nothing much to see in here, unfortunately. I don’t really want to drag it, but it’s a bit boring city. Plus, when You have clouds-rain-wind almost 24/7, most of the people are not able to enjoy what’s around.
Christmas and Julefrokost. It is already a clear fact – Danes like to party a lot. Another clear and obvious fact – they find `partying` to be `just drinking and eating[maybe] and then drinking drinking drinking`. The best time – just before the Christmas, when everyone around is organizing a thing Julefrokost [which we would translate into English as: Christmas lunch]. Statistical Dane participates in approximately 10-15 Julefrokost, nice hah? I had been lucky to participate in two of them. Firstly we just combined something that is called `I managed to pass CF exam and get away alive` and Elite Julefrokost. This one was fun. Very much and so much fun. We played some Christmas games, some beer-pong [Valerio and me, we were undefeated!!], had some very nice conversation, I even got to dance!!! After a long and sweet conversation I finally managed to force myself to leave the party and go back home. The second Julefrokost was just after this one. Not sure if it was the expectations or just the impact of this one, but this second one was not good at all. Yes, food was good and we ate it well, but still, being all around the Danes, who does not really fulfill my perfect way of `how to make this party rock`, and since I was the only one like a white crow, I left pretty early. Promised to myself never go to te boring parties again and convinced myself [again] that I am much more of the southern people party kind of the type.
COP15. I am pretty sure that all of You knows much better what it is. So far I just know that it is some kind of a conference about the Kyoto protocol thing. But the city is crazy, millions of people, half of the streets closed, police and helicopters all around. I don‘t even know anything about the protests, but I assume that they are huge, since I hear sirens of the police cars every single evening, non stop. And, when You look at the newspapers or TV, You realise – it is a big big bubble. Hopefully it won‘t exploid with blood. Would not be pleasant at all. And the sad thing, I will never know more about it, since it ends on Friday, at the very same day when we have to hand in our replication paper, before that: regressions, regressions, tables, tables, hausman test, Prais-Winsten stuff and all other pleasant awesome stuff.
Miracles. There are already several strange and attractive things happening around me, that are still in complete confusiness. But one is for real – I even got some greetings about this. I finally attained the fact of the snowing in Copenhagen. It was snowing yesterday [oh, You should have seen my smile and my face and my satisfaction], it was snowing today. The sad part is – it did not stay, but it was still worth it, seeing all those big snowflakes falling heavily from the sky. I managed to start believing in miracles again. If it start snowing, is it possible that all the other good stuff is going to happen I just have to keep on believing? Well, it better.

No comments: