27 Sept 2011

.My love is Physical.


Short working week passed faster than you could have ever imagined. It seems I only went to work once and it was already Friday. Oh well. What are you going to do.

I decided it is time for me to explore some of Chile and see if I can actually survive in here with my tiny knowledge of Spanish. I woke up early in the morning, walking silently at home, hoping not to wake anyone up, since I heard everyone coming back pretty late, packed a little bag with my camera and some water and left.

It was the day for Valparaiso. A `must see` place, comparingly close to Santiago, Unesco [I forgot the second word that goes with Unesco] thing and, well, everyone told me I should go there. So I did. I always listen to what people are telling me.

I took metro, went to the bus station, asked for the ticket in Spanish, was understood [!!!], got my ticket and managed to find the bus with no problems whatsoever. Just before I entered the bus, one of the drivers asked me where I was from, told me I am very pretty [but of course I am :D] and very tall and let me into the bus. It took me almost 2 hours to get to Valparaiso, which from the looks of it, looked a little crowded.

At the bus station I managed to find tourist information office ask for the map and mark the `must see` points in it. And here my tripping started. I decided that I am still young and strong enough, I can walk. Besides, it’s not that much of a walk anyways. To go throw the whole city, if you go straight, it takes no more than 30 minutes.

I should mention probably, that Valparaiso is famous for being very hilly and colourfulness and bohemian atmosphere. The hills were actually killing my feet, colours were making me more cheerful and bohemian atmosphere made me realize that it actually reminds me of the Republic of over-River [Užupio respublika] a little bit.

So, I went down the main street, found cathedral and moved up to the first hill. My oh my, that was a challenge alright. Streets are insanely steep and there are no people and the map only shows the hill, so which way to go to find `the spot` - I had no idea. But it was a pleasant walk. So many graffiti pictures, colourful houses, cats and dogs around – I made some great pictures. Even at some point I found a map on the wall and found my `spot`. Turns out, spot was a museum, not something I wanted to go into. But they had a nice terrace with a pretty view of the city, so I took my moments there.

Walking down, as always, was much easier and faster. On my way down some workers started shouting something like `hello` and `pretty girl` and etc. they told me to take a picture of them, but I already learned this lesson – never do that or later they can ask for your money. Maybe not here, don’t know, but did not want to risk.

I walked a little around, took another hill. I mean, all of the best things here are on the hills, so you either climb up or you end up seeing nothing. I was basically just walking around and taking pictures, taking unusual sometimes turns, taking small empty streets. Tiny and narrow streets. 

Looking for something nice to take pictures of. Of course, walking back and forward ended me with another view of the city, touristy part with millions of souvenirs to buy and restaurants to eat it. I kind of got lost at some point, but at the end I found my way down. I took a break here.

Afterwards I went on one more hill. Here it started to be more interesting? I’m not sure really, but anyways. There was a choice – steep stairs or funicular which seems to be not working. I took the stairs. I would have taken the stairs anyways. I had my camera in my hands. I mean, it sucks taking it out of the bad every single time I want to make a picture. To I climbed up thinking which way to go when some guy from the shop told me to come to him. Not sure why I did that, I usually don’t. he asked me if I spoke Spanish and after he got an unsure positive answer told me that it is ok for me to go to the left, because there is a museum in there, but I should not turn to the right, because it is dangerous.

I took it as a normal, not fake warning, because he seemed sincere, he had no reason to lie to me and.. I don’t know. I felt I could probably trust him. So I went into the museum area, took some pictures and went out, without taking right. I was just about to make a decision to go downstairs or walk a bit on the hill when some touristy looking girl came to me. She also told me that it is dangerous in here and that I should keep my camera in my bad. Ok, two warnings on the same hill – can’t be coincidence. I put my camera in. I walked a little bit around, but decided to go down. Just in case.

There were several people on the stairs but all – in front of me. I hurried to be closer to the last one of them, because there was someone sitting at the end and he did not look harmless at all. I walked past him as if he did not exist and then I clearly heard a loud whisper: `girl`. That freaked me out. And for those who know me, I am not that easily to be scared of. I went without looking back, not speeding as if I did not hear anything. I looked at him the one part of the second, when I turned myself to go to the left, he was showing some strange thing with his hands. Creep. But he did freak me out, so I found a little square and sat down.

It was a freak hour, I am guessing. Because some homeless ass came to me, tried speaking in terrible accent to me and would not leave me alone. And all I wanted is to sit down in case that stairs ass would pass by. Not happy hour that’s for sure.

I got frustrated and left. There was one more hill to get to with the museum on top of it. This time I kept my camera in my bad and my hands in fists. Somehow I started liking that city less and less, despite of all the colours and graffiti. Strange indeed but when you go up, you hardly meet any people, but once you are up – there are millions of them, buying souvenirs and entering museum. Me, as always, I just took my pictures and went down.

Since it was about it, all I wanted was a glass of beer in some open-air bar and to go home. Well, just my luck, they don’t have an open-air bars there. Or if they do – they do not serve beer there. Well, what can you do, right? I took my way back to the main square [I call it main, I have no idea if that is really that though], took a turn to the bus station, bought again the ticket and got back to Santiago. Home.

Being home was feeling good. I was ready to watch a movie and end the day nicely. Jjust my luck again, at some point I realized something was up. I looked up, looked through the window – yeah, ladies and gentlemen, we’ve got a blackout. Ok, I am used to those, no problem, I will just watch the beginning of the movie and before my battery dies, it will come on again. Or so I thought. I watched the movie till my battery died – no power. I waited – no power. I even took out my camera, took some pictures – no power. I realized – I cannot live without electricity. I could read a book, but no – it’s dark. And so on. I went to sleep without getting any power. It came back at some point in the middle of the night. After I read it in the news, that it wasn’t just my area, it was a serious black-out. And a long one too. First one for me.


Sunday was more or less relax day. I had to pack, because I had to bring my stuff to the new apartment where I will be living from now on, I did some Spanish learning. I did my usual nothing. And then the new week began. Just as always – Spanish in the morning, work in the afternoon. The only difference – this time I got to go to the new home. It was a little strange to get here, but I managed. It is going to be fun, living here.

Off Topic

I miss fighting. I miss my fight club. I just felt a serious need for some kick-boxing. I started to think, maybe it’s not such a bad of an idea to get back? I could go back to my kick-boxing as well.

You’re back and I am not even sure if this is a good thing or bad. Still something does not add up, but maybe I am just adding too much. I should just read the lyrics, shouldn’t I?

Why is it always something?

I may have lost it, but you never fought for it.

Here's to the moments when we didn't think about right or wrong, where we just lived, crossed our fingers, and hoped for the best.

Yo estoy muy cansado. Vamos todos a la playa.

No comments: