19 Feb 2011

.In. Last time of ordinary life in Bangkok. Part I.

Living in Bangkok for the last days made me a little uncomfortable. I know, I’ve been telling to everyone that the best thing you can do in Bangkok is to escape it, but it still was my home and I loved it in my strange kind of way. I have been catching myself wondering in the streets and thinking that it is last times I see things I was already used to see every single day. Strange feeling. I don’t like it.

My school things were going more or less in order. We have been preparing paper and presentation with my group for the class, reading some stuff from time to time for the exam, trying to make things work back in Europe, buying the last `must have after leave Thailand` things. I have been walking the same streets I was walking for the last half a year and started realizing that I’m going to miss it all: that smiley guy with a pony tale, who is doing sewing in the street and smiles at me every time I pass him, amazingly cute tiny guy, who sells fruits on my way to school and smiles with an adorable smile all the time, guards of the hotel, who always stop the cars so I could cross the street, and all the rest of the details. Every corner of each street, every smile, every smell and every look have been painted in my head, so I would never forget it. It did feel like a heart breaking thing.

Our paper went very well, presentation went with no troubles at all and there is was, my last moments to prepare myself for the last exam. Last exam in Southeast Asia, last exam in my Masters program and hopefully my last exam in my life. And I tried, I really tried to do my best and learn something. That was up until the point where I got an e-mail from Sascha, telling me that he is in Bangkok and willing to meet tonight. The day after I was having my exam, but I couldn’t possibly miss a chance of meeting up with him and catching on all the ragging and joking parts that I’ve decided I can do it all – make the meeting happening and pass my exam.

So we met. One quick beer turned into several with a non-stop conversation, which just made it clearer that I actually missed traveling with this guy. We spent the evening together up until the last or almost last BTS and went opposite directions. The next day he was supposed to have some shopping and I had to go to my exam.

I woke up the next morning just as promised to myself – early, so I could go through the notes and get to the exam on time. Turns out – we were tricked. Just two days before the exam, our professor told us that it starts at 9 a.m. so I believed. I shouldn’t have done this though, since exam started at 1 p.m. Too bad I learned it when it was too late already, I was in school, feeling a bit of lack of sleep and with no motivation to learn a lot anyways. So me and Kathi, we exchanged some nice conversations, did some studying and passed time until the exam came.

Exam wasn’t too good or too bad, although it was really hard to concentrate, for me at least, so I left it before the official end. Headed to the shops and then home. I needed a new watch and a present for Sascha, since that kid that day officially got older. I went to the same place I bought my last watch and surprise surprise – it’s not there anymore. This is something I don’t like in Thailand and I ain’t going to miss it – they always change locations of my favorite places. So sad and unhappy about being watchless still, I went for the birthday shopping. I bought a very cute teddy-bear shaped card [which he threw away the day after, but it was so cute that even if I knew he will do that, I could not resist taking it], a tiny little one-bite kind of cake with some candles and a little gift and went home.

No comments: